Everyone is excited about the 50th Anniversary of Mr Rogers’ Neighborhood…here are a few fun “yes or bs” facts about the show!
1. There’s a Mr. Rogers movie in the works, and Matthew Broderick is playing him.
B.S. Tom Hanks is playing him. There was an online survey a few years ago though, and a lot of people thought Broderick would be a good choice. Jim Parsons from “The Big Bang Theory” was the TOP pick. Hanks wasn’t one of the choices.
2. The real Fred Rogers went to high school with golfer Arnold Palmer.
Yes: They both grew up in Latrobe, Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. He was about 18 months older than Arnie.
3. He wrote the theme song to “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood”.
4. Someone stole his car once, then brought it back when they found out it was his.
Yes: He drove an old Impala, and someone stole it from outside the TV station. Then after it made the news, they brought it back 48 hours later . . . parked it in the same spot . . . and left a note that said they wouldn’t have taken it if they’d known it was his car.
5. Way before he was Batman or Beetlejuice, Michael Keaton got his start on “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood”.
Yes: He grew up in Pittsburgh where it was filmed. One of his first jobs was as a puppeteer on the show, and he also operated the trolley.